Life, Honestly

Friday, November 14, 2008

Slackerface

Wow, I'm on a roll, huh? One month between posts. Not a great start to my blogging career. I'll be better in the future (I hope). This is turning to be more like my journal than I planned... So, in the last month, as you can imagine, a lot has happened. We entered Nathan in a diaper decorating contest. He dressed as a mummy (with some help from Auntie Amy) and on the back of the diaper we wrote "King Toot." All too appropriate, I might add. He looked so cute! Aaron even looked up heiroglyphics and wrote his name on strip of fabric that we put around his waist. He got many compliments (so did I) and he won the "Funniest Diaper" category. That meant that we got a twenty-five dollar gift card to Stork Landing. It was pretty cool. In the less cool category: when I got home that same day (October 18th), I found a letter from the Cache County Court informing me that I had failed to appear when I was supposed to and was therefore guilty of a Class B Misdemeanor. What happened? August 6th, 5:30 a.m. I drove Aaron to his shuttle pick-up point (for work) and was headed home to go back to bed. I was pulled over for having a headlight out. Of course, I'm in my pajamas, but luckily I had my license. What I didn't have was proof of insurance. We had switched insurance companies the week before, just prior to our former contract running out. However, we had not yet received the paperwork for our new insurance so our old cards said that we were no longer covered. I explained this to the officer, but I was still ticketed for not having proof of insurance. He told me that I had "no more than five and no less than fourteen" days to take care of it. In response, I let him know that would probably be difficult considering (pointing to my bulging belly) I was already overdue to have my baby. He basically told me tough cookies. Yay. Three days later, Nathan was born and in another three days we were discharged from the hospital. While I was at home alone with my new baby, I sent my Uncle Adam and Sister Holly to the court to see what they could do for my ticket. They came back with a paper that had the court fax number on it. So, I called my insurance company, right then and there (I think it was the 14th) to let them know I needed them to fax a letter to the court. They told me it was no big deal, they sent letters like that all the time and even had the fax number already. Satisfied that it was taken care of, I let it go, and worried about my baby. Why? Because late in the evening of the 18th, after several days of him deteriorating, we rushed him to the ER and stayed a subsequent 2 days in pediatrics. We discovered during that time that I was not producing nearly enough milk and he was essentially starving to death. He was severely dehydrated, but, suprisingly, came out of the whole affair quite well. Anyway, because of his worsening condition, I was not thinking about much else. Evidently I should have been. To try and make a long story short, my insurance company didn't send the fax until the 22nd, at which time they put Aaron's name on it (Scott, actually - they apparently don't know he goes by Aaron) instead of mine and they also sent it to the wrong fax number. It took some sleuthing for us to acquire this information which I had to wait until Wednesday, the 22nd, to share with the prosecutor. After talking with him, I had to wait again and talk to the judge and tell her the story, too. She was actually a little more sympathetic than he was, but there was nothing they could do. It had been my responsibility to ensure that the letter arrived and babysit my insurance company until it did. I didn't, therefore, I was guilty. My bail (that's right, there was a warrant out for my arrest) was set at $600, which was dropped to $200 after showing proof of insurance. After I told them my story it was reduced to $100 on the spot or four days in jail, my choice. Ha ha. In passin the prosecuter mentioned I might want to make sure the DLD knew my license was now okay to be reinstated (WHAT?) since the warrant had been rescinded. The next day I went to let them know and to pay the reinstatement fee, only to discover I had to get a clearance letter from the court, which they conveniently failed to give or even mention. However, it couldn't be faxed until Monday. I double-checked that one. It occured to me after the fact, that if I had gotten pulled over for any reason before I got that letter (the first I heard of it, two months later...) I would have been instantly arrested, been charged with driving on a suspended license, and since we thought our registration expired a month later than it did, I would also have gotten ticketed for espired registration and no proof of insurance (we forgot to actually put it in the car until October). Oh, and since Nathan is always with me, they would have taken custody of my baby while they took me to jail. And I wouldn't have had any idea why. So, there's my story for the day, I guess. On a lighter note, Nathan is growing awfully fast. He recently discovered that his hands (apparently) taste good and that sometimes other things do, too. Like his blanket. He's becoming noticeably more curious about the things around him. It's really cool. He also just learned to laugh and roll over. Sometimes he appears to forget that he can, but it's great when he does. He's getting to be a lot of fun. Today he discovered a new game. I was putting his pacifier, or as we call it, his pootie, into his mouth while he sort of bit down. It happened in just such a way that the rubber squeaked on his gums. He looked surprised and intrigued, so I did it again. He thought that was so cool! He just sat there with his mouth in poistion, grinning, while I squeaked the pootie across his gums. When I stopped, he tried to get me to do it again. That kept him entertained for a good five minutes until he realized it was naptime. I wish Aaron (or someone) had been around so we could have gotten it on video. It's really neat to see his little personality developing. He's his own adorable person, that's for sure. And he really is adorable. I know I'm his mom, but I swear he's cuter than all the other babies ever! And he gets cuter (and bigger) all the time. Aaron is trying to survive the rest of this nasty, nasty semester. Meanwhile, I'm trying to learn how to balance a baby and a house, and...well, you know. Aaron and I just made a deal, though. If I work out two days a week for three months, no exceptions, I'll get a day at the spa and some new clothes. If Aaron does, he gets the gun he wants. If we both do, we'll go on a short getaway together. However, if at any time, a day is missed, we have to start over. We'll see how it goes. Okay, this post is way too long. I will not go a month next time before posting. Hope all is well with whoever actually takes the time to read this. And everyone else, too, they just won't know.